Tuesday, August 28, 2012

experimental beach pics

It's fun to get a group that likes to take pictures, and is willing to try everyone's ideas. With digital photography its nice because one can click away and sample hundreds of images. Then delete the many that didn't work, flatter, or impress. And keep the ones that actually turned out, whether by intention or fluke. Above I'm trying some new editing software that puts a little haze and glossy coloration on the photo.

Naturally there's usually some either shy individuals, or not-amused-with-the-picture-taking folks. Sometimes they'll agree to take a few photos so that I can be in them too.




I recently went to an erotic art show that was amazing. Among the many things that intrigued me was the close-ups of bodies and interactions. I've decided to try a few more close-ups in the mix. Sometimes they are endearing, other times not.

Listening to the art judges panel, one juror said that she had been in many different nude or erotic photo shoots. It was her opinion that most any attractive model could stand there and look pretty, but that with pin-up girls and hot bodies were a dime-a-dozen. What really drew the artists' eyes were when the models communicated some sort of passion, happiness, rapture, or energetic something else. It didn't matter so much what they were communicating, but that they were communicating something, transporting the beholder somewhere else.

That idea resonated with me. I love to photograph nude friends out in beautiful nature. It seems that often many great photos are not posed, just people going about their business, having fun or exploring. I'll admit that I don't mind some cheeky posing - though I tend to try for the original even there. I'll take a model having fun any day over a perfectly sculpted body that is bored or non-creative. Groups with some camaraderie and playfulness often create a new exploratory energy. Combined with daring, flirtation, social amusement, and spark.



Here I tried a new editing feature involving crispness and slight 1960's coloration - not the warmth of some of the others. Over two days we hiked 18 miles with packs, and Zach's tiredness was genuine and sexy. A range of emotions and experiences with cameras clicking can produce some interesting images.

1 comment: