Wednesday, October 31, 2012

reassure him

We recently tried an exercise from the book Ethical Sluts. The two female authors suggest sitting together or separately with your intimate partner and writing a list of 10 things he can do to reassure you. These need to be behaviors, not emotions. For example, to say, "Love me more," is difficult to meet concretely, but "hold my hand" is an observable behavior. When done, share the list with each other.

Here are a few examples.
1. Touch me often.
2. Leave me a note.
3. Send me a text when I'm at work.
4. Snuggle with me for 5 minutes at night in bed.
5. Sit next to me.

6. Do the dishes.
7. Talk about our future together.
8. Do the laundry.
9. Prepare food for us.
10. Call me a sweet name, like love, or hon.

Yes, this requires some personal vulnerability. That's intimacy. It can be heavenly if you do it. This is not a demand list. But it sure helps to know how to reassure your partner.

No comments:

Post a Comment