Tuesday, March 19, 2013

sweet nothings

When we first got together I was incredulous. He'd say sweet things to me as we lay in bed at night going to sleep. He tired and sleepy. It happened several nights. The comments were so direct and exactly what I - or any man - would love to hear. So perfect that I doubted them. Like "I'm so happy to be with you. You're so special to me. I'm so attracted to you." Or I discounted them somewhat because he was tired and going to sleep - in that semi-conscious state.
 
He'd doze off. Then awake with another sweet nothing. Then doze off again, then stir to say something incredibly sweet again. Waking me gently.
 
Two years later, these moments are some of my most cherished. These moments don't come always in the day. There can be a few days in between when we are stressed, or working separate shifts. But 90% of the time, I can count on this bedtime ritual. And always a goodnight kiss.

I accept them. Let them in. Count myself very fortunate that my love's last words while he's sleepy are not cross or cranky words, but by default praises and word gifts.
 
These sweet nothings...
are more appropriately named to me...
sweet everythings. 

1 comment: