Wednesday, December 12, 2012

yey washington

Jane and Pete-e celebrate their marriage this weekend
35 years together
I have the extremely good fortune of having moved to Washington, where gay marriage was approved by a majority of mainstream voters last month. This is for the first time in U.S. history. Previously in other states it has been by a legislative or judiciary vote, but not by a voter referendum. Maryland and Maine also recently approved gay marriage by popular vote. This is what makes it so significant to me, and melts my heart. No wonder I've been happy this weekend, as the newspaper headlines highlight beautiful people in love getting married. At long last. Thank you compassionate people of Washington. I wouldn't have guessed that this move would have meant so much to me, and that I would be at the heart of a historic space for "my people" and all people. A triumph for love.


No comments:

Post a Comment