Saturday, December 8, 2012

no sugar day 75

Today is day 75 of no processed sugar.

It started when a good friend of my partner had liposuction to the tummy. He works out a lot, but also enjoys his high fructose jams, breads and pastries. Still I'd always dismissed the idea of lipo for myself until a close friend had it. He's still numb three months out, as expected. We're all waiting with interest for the six month mark when the numbness is supposed to go away.

I've generally been a believer of non-invasive methods before invasive ones. Of nutritional and lifestyle changes before drugs and surgeries. Even what other people would consider drastic changes in intake. If I ever were to do lipo, I'd want to have tried for a good long while all other non-invasive methods of abdominal fat reduction, like eating well for a year and exercising consistently, and researching ramifications for old age, poor scenarios, etc.


around day 15
A radio program on sobriety got me thinking that I could go "sober" of just about anything. Even temporarily or as an experiment. I thought, why not processed sugar?

So here I am, day 75. No refined sugar in anything. Not in bread, ketchup, sauces, jams, cereal, anything. That means no deserts - or at least not the added-sugar kind. I CAN eat fruits, molasses, grade B pure maple syrup, and sugar in its natural forms. It requires me to be prepared and be creative. While everyone pulls out their ice-cream, I pull out my mangos. Or kiwis, coconut, fennel, raisins, currants, banana, whatever.

Exceptions have only been when eating at someone's home, and they make something for us with love - and I don't want to go through the hassle of explaining my peculiarity. I've had a slice of carrot cake, a home-made ginger beer, and some Thanksgiving homemade treats. For that I subtracted those 5 days. I'd technically be on day 80 if I hadn't. I'm glad I partook in these gifts - and at the same time hope that these exceptions are minimal to non-existant.

I've noticed exciting adjustments in my body. I feel sexier and heartened at my personal accomplishment. I've also moved closer to a paleo diet in increasing meats and plants, decreasing grains, breads and pastas, though oatmeal and quinoa are still favorites. I have to eat more frequently and plan ahead, but I feel energized overall.

1 comment:

  1. Quinoa is not a grain, it is a seed. You do not have to avoid it to be sugar-free. Enjoy it, it is one of the healthiest things you can put in your body.

    ReplyDelete