Wednesday, November 14, 2012

so happy


I'm so comforted by the passage of gay marriage in my current home state - Washington. And the fact that it was passed by a voter majority. It's on my mind often.

I was buying raspberries at a local market and commented on the elections to the cute vendor. He exclaimed happily, "yeah, now we've got weed and gays!" How cool is that. (He was referencing also the passage of marijuana as legal now.) He and several random people at work, most straight, seemed genuinely happy at the passage of gay marriage. Most making the comment, "It's about time," or "I'm so happy for you and your partner. I want you to know that I voted for you." Damn, nearly brings me to tears.

At the art museum I saw young guys standing next to eachother, intimates. Now they can grow up feeling normal and accepted by their society. Now dudes who notice their own attraction to males can look around and see and respect the life paths of gay men - look around at male-male couples no longer in hiding - and see a life to be admired, a fulfilling love. Not an underground life. An option for them that involves honoring themselves. Young and old men honoring themselves.

This law does educate the public. It becomes a non-issue. And people's attitudes shift towards love and acceptance. Bullies and phobes perhaps lay that aside.

Washingtonians are not particularly affectionate publicly. Like people in cooler climates everywhere. Straight folks don't hold hands much on the streets either. I'm happy to see multiple beautiful gay and lesbian couples holding hands here and there. In the hospital, on the sidewalk. Perhaps with increased confidence. A quiet glowing, at long last.

No comments:

Post a Comment