Monday, April 8, 2013

gay men's weekend

I was away for a few days to a gay men’s weekend training in Arizona. Visions of group sex? No. But magical. Do gay men need any training? Not for some things. But yes for others, I’d contend. The weekend was put on by a men’s organization called Mankind Project – a specific gateway weekend for gay, bi, and trans men. Imagine that, coming to a group of men where it’s a safe place to look introspectively at yourself as a gay man. Cradled by men who understand.


About 35 staff men and 21 new men participated. We bunked in cabins on a mountain top, pine trees whispering quietly with the wind. I got to connect with men that I’d met a few years ago, as well as meet many new awake men, and spend time with my partner. Admittedly I had mini-crushes on four of the fellow staff, and three of the new guys. Not unusual for me. I was put in charge of 4 of the processes on the weekend, and I thoroughly enjoyed them. I marvel at the extent of my emotions. These weekends challenge me in a good way. My thighs are sore from one of the activities, and I have a slight sunburn!

It is considered an initiation – called the New Warriors Training Adventure. Pretty cool stuff.

Finally, it was a boost to my ego, to still be found sexy and desirable. Will that want ever go away? To be mutually attracted to other men, glorious men of high accomplishment, beautiful curves, sweet connection. Happily I’ll be seeing some of them again at Burning Man in a few months.

I was touched to meet more intimately four trans men, what an honor… a man with two canes, a gaw guy, a few San Francisco hotties and intellectuals, a man who had just come out of a threesome, two other couples, doctors, curators, techies, students, construction men, airline stewards, a fireman, and a rich array of our rainbow kind.

3 comments:

  1. Honest curiosity: in the last paragraph you said you met a "gaw guy." Is that a typo or....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not exactly sure how to spell it, but this was the way the guy identified himself. I get the impression that it's a mix between "goth" and "emo," simplistically: black dress, radical hair, emotional guy.

      Delete
  2. Sweet. Thanks for the clarification! ;-)

    ReplyDelete