Thursday, May 2, 2013

sex or no sex

Would I live in a relationship with no sex?

No.

Minimal and infrequent sex?

Nope.

Under extenuating circumstances: severe illness, disability, extreme occurrence, I’d stick with my partner(s).

I know of many couples, accomplished and brilliant friends, who nonetheless have sex only a handful of times per year. I couldn't do it. I won't do it.

I think it also is every person's opportunity to stand up for what they will and will not have. Even with your partner(s) who you love dearly. This means that you'd be willing to leave them under certain circumstances. Or change the agreements under which you live and relate.

Sex with others is no substitute for close intimacy between partners. It doesn't have to be penetration and ejaculation each time. There are hundreds of ways to be close, physical, and spin that magical web that bonds us. The nature of it changes somewhat with age I imagine, as to specific acts, but people of all ages can be intimate, feel good together, and be physical. I imagine sex even in my 90’s, even if it looks a bit different than now.

Sex is an important part of intimacy and connecting and loving. It is a parallel of many other realms. Physical union between long-time partners is a bit different than short-term partners. I'm still figuring that one out. Loving it. And learning what are negotiables and non-negotiables.

No comments:

Post a Comment